Saugatuck- Transit Oriented Design Master Plan
The Town of Westport is engaged in a community visioning and planning process to improve the quality of life, design and public streetscapes in Saugatuck. The Saugatuck Transit Oriented Design Master Plan project is a nine month planning process engaging community members and a team of planners, engineers, economic planners and historic preservation experts to establish design standards and a master plan to enhance this important gateway for the Town of Westport. This project is being guided by the Saugatuck Transit Oriented Design Master Plan Steering Committee.
Initial Project Goals:
- Improve the entrance experience when arriving in Westport
- Maintain the authenticity and identity of Saugatuck
- Respect the character of this community
- Preserve it, build upon it and enhance it
- Create an even stronger sense of place designed for extraordinary livability
- Improve the connectivity and walkability between the station, village and waterfront
- Enhance the existing infrastructure – streets, sidewalks, parking, plazas, parks, lighting, landscaping
- Improve the privately and publicly-owned civic spaces
- Attract and engage all generations – young and old
- Establish design guidelines, standards and a master plan to reinforce these goals
In the fall of 2017, the project consulting team will present the results of the public planning effort including a master plan report, design guidelines for streets and buildings, and a streetscape design illustrating proposed sidewalk and landscaping improvements.
Please check back periodically for updates.